[ldapext] Is exclude subtree useful outside of chained operations?

One of the features of the chained operation is the ability to tell the
receiving DSA not to search a particular subtree (or subtrees). This
helps cut down on the problem of duplicate suearch results (10.9 of
X.518 has a good illustration of where this is useful).

I'm wondering if this ability makes sense outside of the chained
operation (in which case we can use a control both for the chained
operation, other operations). So for example, has the ability been
requested to perform a subtree search, but to exclude one or more
subtrees?

Jim