Re: chaining SASL binds (Was: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?))

At 08:48 AM 6/25/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>When I've talked about this with people in the past, I was told that
>some SASL mechanisms will work with a man in the middle, but others
>won't. Of course, I don't remember the details.

Some mechanisms (DIGEST-MD5's digest-uri, integrity layers)
have protections to hinder MITM attacks, but can made to
work through trusted active intermediate systems.

>Is there such a thing as a recognized trusted MITM? Does the concept
>exist in the SASL framework?

The SASL framework is client/server authentication.  But it
doesn't preclude either the client or the server implementations
from being distributed, but if they are, then they have to
take appropriate steps to ensure interoperability.

To effectively chain a DIGEST-MD5, the intermediate box
(which the client has connected to) needs to advise the remote
box (fulfilling the authentication) what digest-uri to use
in its responses to the client (passed back through the
intermediate).

Another feature would be pass enough information back to
the intermediate to allow it to establish security layers
between it and the client, preferably without exposing the
shared secret (the A1 hash) to the intermediate.  Whether
or not this is possible depends on the layer particulars.

I note that this kind of "distributed authentication" can
be applied where the communication between the client
and intermediate is not over LDAP, but over some other
SASL-supporting protocol.  For instance, it could
be used in implementation of SOAP/BEEP -> LDAP application
level gateway.

>It would be great if this research could happen in parallel,

It does seems a bit "experimental".  Another good reason
to keep it separate from the "distributed operation"
work.  Another reason to keep this "distributed authentication"
stuff separate is ease security considerations discussions.