Re: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?)

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
BTW, I'd like to add support for chaining SASL bind exchanges.
This will require some fields beyond those offered by the
X.518 ChainingArguments/ChainingResults structures.

I agree that a mechanism for chaining SASL bind exchanges would be useful, however, current chaining mechanisms (e.g. X.518 or LDAP referrals) depend on name resolution of a base object. The bind operation, particularly when using a SASL mechanism, does not have a base object for the name resolution process. This would mean special procedures for "chaining" this operation.

Does this also require formalising some type of trust model between DSAs if we are going to delegate authentication operations to another server?

Is it possible to translate this SASL bind exchange into a LDAP operation the initiating DSA invokes, e.g. a search for the SASL "username" with a control used to transmit the SASL credentials and receive the SASL auth-response? Such an operation may then be chained by the responding DSA(s) and authorization decisions will be done using the initiating DSA as the authorization identity?

- Mark.