Re: Purpose of unableToProceed (was: Re: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?))

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

"Ennis, Mark" <mark.ennis@adacel.com> 6/22/04 7:24:08 PM >>>

<snip>

X.518 assume that the first step for the processing of any operation

is

name resolution. The operationProgress is used to determine if the hierarchical operation binding (represented by the knowledge such as

subordinate and superior references) is consistent. In the absence

of

the operationProgress, a subordinate DSA, on receiving a request for

naming context it does not recognise, will chain the request to a superior DSA. Where the hierarchical operational binding has become

inconsistent between the superior and subordinate DSA, this could

lead

to a loop condition or an incorrect NameError.noSuchObject.

Right, for these scenarios I assumed that the return of either of

these errors (loopDetected or noSuchObject) would suffice.

The main difference is that normally ServiceError.unableToProceed is used by the X.518 procedures to cause another continuation reference

be used if one is available, while the NameError.noSuchObject and ServiceError.loopDetected cause the operation to complete with an

error.

This is particularly relevant to processing of non-specific

subordinate

references, where the problem is not due inconsistency in the HOB, but

is due to lack of knowledge in the superior about which naming

contexts

exist in which subordinate DSAs.

So if a DSA holds inconsistent data which causes unableToProceed, but
there is always other continuation reference information avaliable to
progress the operation, will the inconsistency will go unnoticed? I
failed to realize that this was a 'soft' error like busy, and
unavailable are (also points I haven't yet mentioned in the I-D).

unableToProceed is definitely a "soft" error. "Real" inconsistencies in the HOB should result in an invalidReference error. The problem I see is where X.518 is being used without the operationProgress. This could result in error messages which do not accurately represent the situation in the distributed directory environment.

Jim