Re: [ldapext] Chained Operation (control, extended op, or op?)

Jim,

It is my opinion that you need to define your procedures for distributed operations and define your chaining argument and chaining result based on those procedures. If you choose to assume that the procedures for distributed operations are those defined in X.518, then you will need to include fields in the chaining arguments and results that are required by those procedures. In particular, the operation progress information is critical to the name resolution procedures defined in X.518 and I do not see how you can use these procedures without this field in the chaining arguments and in the trace information (and in referrals).

Where information critical to X.518 procedures for distributed operations is not supported, new procedures need to be defined to accomodate chaining of LDAP operations.

- Mark.

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

All,

I'm attaching a not-ready-for-prime-time I-D which describes an LDAP
chained operation. Following X.518, I described it as an operation
(well, an extended operation) which contains the original message and
some chaining arguments. Some of my peers here have repeatedly argued
that there is no reason to define it as an extended operation, and that
a control makes more sense.

What do others think? I can go either way.

If it's a control, I'd want to reconsider the targetObject and
entryOnly fields. If the control holds these, and is sent as
non-critical, and the receiving server doesn't support the control, the
outcome will be erroneous.

As an extended operation, we have two sets of resultCode, matchedDN,
errorMessage, and referral. This can be resolved by chosing yet another
solution: Create a whole new operation (don't use an extended
operation). The new operation would not include the elements of
LDAPResult (well, the resultCode might be nice, but referral and
matchedDN is confusing).

I'll publish once I get some feedback on this, and fix up some
editorial issues.

Jim