[ldapext] exclusions versus alreadySearched

All (especially anyone with X.500 experience)

I'm trying to understand why the X.518 ChainingResults type has an
alreadySearched field.

If a DSA recieves a chained operation (which envelopes a search), and:

- can service the entire search request, I see no need to report
anything in the alreadySearched field.
- returns a referral during name resolution, there is also no need
- returns a referral while searching (equal to a search result
referece), then the exclusions field of the referral holds the
"alreadySearched" data.

Thus I see no need for ChainingResults.alreadySearched. Am I missing
something?

Once I understand this and a few other isuues, I'll submit the chained
operation I-D. I think I'll need to submit a control specification as
well so we can start passing around information in the X.518
ContinuationReference (like exclusions)

Thanks,
Jim