Re: [ldapext] Re: draft-ietf-boreham-numsubordinates-01.txt

Michael Ströder wrote:

Ludovic Poitou wrote:

> John McMeeking wrote:
>>
>>> Firstly I'm curious as to what `numSubordinates' identifies as being a
>>> subordinate?
>>> Eg. Is a subentry counted as a subordinate?
>> I'd vote for including subentries.

I'd vote for including subentries as well...

Any use-cases for including subentries?
Which are the use-cases for 'numSubordinates'?

The question was whether SubEntries should be counted in the numSubordinate operational attribute.
My vote was yes...

You can have a numSubordinate != 0 and not being able to see children entries (due to access controls).

Yes. But what's the problem with that?

No problem. If subentries are counted in the numSubordinate attribute, an entry that has subEntries will have a positive numSubordinate but regular client applications won't see any child entries. Some apps may be confused by this behavior, but this can already happen with ACI.

As opposed, not counting SubEntries in the numSubordinate attribute, an application can read the numSubordiante attribute, see its value is 0, delete the entry and get a NON_LEAF error... and be confused....

I prefer the first scenario to the second one.

But having numSubordinate = 0 and getting a NON_LEAF error when deleting the entry will be be perceived as more confusing.

Does this really happen at all? Maybe I don't understand this sentence.

This is what would happen if Subentries are NOT counted as numSubordinate.

Ludovic.

Ciao, Michael.