Re: [ldapext] I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-uuid-00.txt

One possible use (if server side sorting is supported):

  <client> Please give me all entries matching filter foo in subtree
	   bar etc., please sort by UUID.

  <server> Here you are: ...

  (Client looses connection with server after just having received
  entry baz. Client connects again, possibly to another server.)

  <client> Please give me... etc., where UUID > baz, please sort by
           UUID.

So the client doesn't have to see all those entries that it has
already seen again, and will not again get an entry that it has
already seen (even if entries are renamed during or between the
searches).

Generally, it's probably not worth it, but by supplying an ordering
you make this an option for developers of LDAP clients, instead of
deciding in advance that "you won't need this".

Thorild Selén
Datorföreningen Update / Update Computer Club, Uppsala, SE