Re: [ldapext] BER encoding of PasswordPolicyResponseValue?

At 10:47 PM 3/28/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I'd love to do this, but the fact is, values of controls and extended
>operations are OCTET STRING types.

Yes, but as LDAP extensions are defining "LDAP protocol elements",
I think it is reasonable to say that this SHALL apply to control and
extended operation values which are described in term of ASN.1 and
encoded using BER (as described in 5.1) unless the technical
specification defining the LDAP protocol element explicitly states
otherwise.

I encourage extension authors to include to define the
term BER-encoded as follows.
   Protocol elements are described using ASN.1 [X.680].  The term
   "BER-encoded" means the element is to be encoded using the Basic
   Encoding Rules [X.690] under the restrictions detailed in
   Section 5.1 of [RFC2251].