Re: [ldapext] I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldapext-vlv-00.txt

In my opinion, a very important and useful feature of the IETF process is that the authors of a document retain considerable control over the direction and scope of the work. Publishing an alternative to VLV as Kurt has done is one way to sidestep that constraint... but I do not think it is a good approach.

The IETF has a long standing tradition of carefully balancing features, time-to-market, ease of implementation, and interoperability. I believe that Kurt's new I-D suffers has too many features, is at least 2 years late to market, will be difficult to implement in an effective and efficient manner on the server side, and therefore the likelihood that a large number of interoperable implementations will be created is very low.

I feel strongly that draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-08.txt should be published as a Proposed Standard (with minor changes if WG consensus dictates that they are needed). Of course I will leave it to the LDAPEXT WG chairs to judge consensus on this issue and provide the group with direction.

-Mark Smith
 Netscape

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:

Title : LDAP (Alternative) Virtual List View Operation Author(s) : K. Zeilenga Filename : draft-zeilenga-ldapext-vlv-00.txt Pages : 18 Date : 2002-10-2 This document describes an LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) Virtual List View (VLV) operation. The operation allows the client to obtain portion (the view) of an ordered set (the list) of entries visible through a virtual window. The client can reissue the operation with different criteria to obtain a different view of the list. Clients may use this operation to page, scroll, or browse directory content. The VLV operation is defined as a set of LDAP controls which extend the Search operation. The VLV controls may be used in conjunction with a number of other search controls, such as the Server Side Sorting of Search Results (RFC 2891) control.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldapext-vlv-00.txt