[ldapext] reducing spam on the LDAPEXT list

RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

I don't believe it is a moderated list, it is merely a different address than the widely abused @netscape one.

Correct. It took the spammers less than a day to find the new address and start abusing it.

I think the only way to reduce the spam significantly is to permit posting only to subscribers, which implies approving subscribers, and having a way to approve any on-topic posts by non-subscribers (per IETF rules). Ie, a human to do this work. Any volunteers?

I agree and I am willing to help. One problem with making the list "members only" is that quite a few people who participate regularly in LDAPExt discussions are subscribed via local exploders. They would need to resubscribe using their actual addresses or live with the fact that their submissions will be delayed by a human moderator. But they would have that choice.

-Mark Smith
 Netscape