RE: subentries comments

Hi Rob,

I agree with Steven how the control should work.

the baseobject search is nearly the same as the read and I think you can
return subentries in a baseobject search without the control.

> > > How about changing the meaning of TRUE in the controlValue to
> > > mean "retrieve
> > > both normal and subentries" ?  It's still not exactly the
> > > same as x500 but it
> > > seems "usefully closer" to me.
> >
> > This would require splitting some LDAP search operations into
> > two DSP chained search operations. I want to avoid that
> complication.
>
> Ok, but I'm taking the same point of view for LDAP clients.

But is it really a feature what LDAP clients are looking for ? I think 90 %
of the
clients don't want to handle subentries. All the administrative clients
which wants to work with subentries have to distinguish between Entries
and subentries and I think its easier for them when they know whether
they get subentries back or other entries and I think its a good feature
when you know that all the entries you got back are subentries / entries.

Regards

Helmut