RE: BER and Attribute Syntax

Dominic,

If by "an OctetString of the decimal value" you mean the four octets
with the decimal values 49, 51, 50 and 49, being the ASCII codes for
the characters `1', `3', `2' and `1' respectively, then the answer
is yes.

If you mean the two octets with the decimal values 5 and 41 then the
answer is no.

If the attribute value is instead transfered according to the LDAP ";binary"
attribute option (see RFC 2251) then the LDAP AttributeValue OCTET STRING
would contain the four octets with the decimal values 2, 2, 5 and 41
(i.e. a BER encoding stuffed into an ASN.1 OCTET STRING as the content).

Regards,
Steven