LDAP Result Codes

Folks,
We have been looking at the expired result codes draft,
draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-02.txt, which someone on this list indicated
would be "folded into" an updated RFC 2251 sometime.

We have a question regarding the result code LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR.  Our
current server support uses this return code to indicate that an internal
server error occurred while handling the request.  This differs vastly from
the definition in the draft, which indicates this return code should only
be returned if a bind is required prior to some operation and the bind was
not performed.

We have searched the draft and found no other result code that seems to
satisfy our need for an "internal server error".  We tend to try to avoid
using LDAP_OTHER because it is so ambiguous.

What is the intent of LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR?  What result code should be
used for internal problems at the server?  Does another result code need to
be defined?

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Internet: kgdaniec@us.ibm.com
Internal: Karen Gdaniec/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or
                 IBMUSM10(KGDANIEC)
phone: 607.752.1075   tie-line: 8/852-1075
fax: 607.752.3681