Re: MUST ref (Was: Last call on 'Named Subordinate References inLDAP Directories')

At 07:29 AM 5/8/01, Mark C Smith wrote:
>In general, I believe all attribute types should be
>optional unless there is a good reason to make them mandatory.

In general, I agree.  But in this case, I believe there are good
reasons for the ref attribute to be mandatory.  The primary
reason is that a referral object without any knowledge information
cannot be used for its intended purpose, to hold knowledge
information used in the generation of protocol referrals and
search continuations.  Like alias objects, I think the knowledge
information attribute should be mandatory.

        Kurt