MUST ref (Was: Last call on 'Named Subordinate References in LDAP Directories')

I've split my response over a few messages to aid in separating
following up discussions.

At 06:53 PM 5/7/01, Mark C Smith wrote:
>1) Section 4.1 (The referral Object Class):  I can't think of a good
>reason for the 'ref' attribute type to be mandatory.  I would like to
>see it changed to a MAY.

It's a required attribute as returning no URLs is not allowed
per RFC 2251 and allowing no 'ref' attribute would unduly
complicate the specification and implementations.  Do you have
a more specific reason for desiring support for a referral
object with no ref attribute?

Kurt