Re: browse permission in the ACM

Rick,

Maybe now is a good time to list the options (that I can think of) open
to us for this browsing concept:

1. Keep it as is in section 5.2, so that "b" is just an entry-level
permission you need on all entries when you search.

2. Drop it entirely, so that we have no dedicated entry-level permission
on search.  For example, we don't have an entry-level Modify
permission.  In this model, we would be relying on the returnDn
permission for entry-level protection.  I guess "entry-level protection"
of an entry in the context of search means protecting the dn so this
seems to make sense.

3. Keep "b" but only require it on non-base entries.  This means that
you can control the power of the subtree and onelevel search options on
your DIT.

4. Keep "b" but only require it on non-base entries AND introduce a "v"
which you are now required to see base entries of searches.  This means
that you can control the power of the subtree and onelevel search
options on your DIT AND allows you to explicitly protect bases of
searches at the entry level.

5. As 4. but have "b"=>"v", so that if you want you can forget about "v"
and just use "b" as in 1.  This is what I proposed in my earlier mail.

I agree that it is not worth complicating things for this browsing
capability.  Given this, if people like the ability to put a brake on
the subtree and onelevel options (I guess the use of these options is
what we mean by "browsing" in LDAP), I'm tempted to propose 3. as the
simplest option.  After that if we consider that controling browsing is
not important, I'm tempted by 2., namely dropping "b" entirely...though
we'd need to check that this doesn't leave some holes.

Any votes/opinions on these options ?

Rick, for your other point on aborting searches re the returnDn
permission, I would prefer to discuss that in a different thread called
something like "protecting dns in the ACM", as I think it desreves a
discussion itself.

Rob.