RE: IP Address in the ACM (Was: Comments onAccessControlModel- BNF)

I accept that there are environments where ip address and DNS name are
acceptable. However:
1. they aren't even close to the majority of environments
2. there are more cases where it isn't appropriate and it will get used
thinking it is secure, leading to a false sense of security
3. better alternatives are easily available

If there was no good alternative is some cases, then I could see leaving
the features in. But good security is quite readily available, so there
is no reason to settle for semi-security.

Before I could acquiesce, I would want to see the security
considerations that are proposed to go with the feature. I think they
should include very dire warnings about how easy it is to defeat them,
and descriptions of the environments where they can be safely used.
Absent these, it would be irresponsible to bless such features with the
words "RFC compliant" and the endorsement of the IETF.

Also, I think it is entirely reasonable that some vendors decide that
they don't want to serve the market where such features might be
adequate, or wish to serve it by offering stronger mechanisms.

In any case, interoperability is better ensured by having smaller
feature sets, not by trying to use "mandatory to implement" to force
implementation of large feature sets.