RE: LDAP/X.500 location proposal (was: DN -> DNS: X.500 group's p roposal for using DNS to locate LDAP servers)

Kurt,

A couple comments related to your most recent response...

First, if we back up and look at the requirements (which haven't yet been
fully articulated), we see a need to do lossless (or at least nearly
lossless) mapping between RDNs and FQDNs. Even if we limit the set of RDNs
we consider to, say, the subset that PKIX requires (not even the larger
subset permitted by PKIX), we find that the currently defined RR types
(namely A and CNAME) are insufficient, since those RRs are limited to the
character set specified by RFC 1123.  (For reference, that set includes "A"
through "Z", "a" through "z", "0" through "9" and the hyphen. Periods are
permitted, but are treated as label separators.) Looking at what we might
choose to call "reasonably well-constructed RDNs," I think it's reasonable
to assume we will need, at a minimum, a character set that also permits
apostrophes, periods, commas, and spaces. In order to do lossless mapping,
it is necessary to EITHER define an RR type with a compatible character set
OR define an escaping mechanism.  Since I'm hard pressed to even find a
reasonable escape character in the RFC 1123 set, I'm led to the conclusion
that it would be simpler to define a new RR type for this purpose.

Second, regarding where this thing gets rooted, I again look at the
requirements. One such requirement is the availability of a suitable (i.e.,
scalable, distributable) registration infrastructure.  By this I mean a
(mostly non-technical) set of supporting structures including registration
authorities, processes, rules, administrators, and so on. Given that we need
such an infrastructure, we have a choice between (1) defining a new
infrastructure and (2) using an existing one.  If we define a new one, we
can either define a new one rooted somewhere under the DNS structure (as
you've suggested), or we can define one external to DNS (as X.500 suggested
back in 1988).  Since the X.500 suggestion never took root (pardon the pun!)
in the past thirteen years, I'm led to the conclusion that we're not likely
to succeed if we go down that path.  That leaves option 2 (using an existing
infrastructure) as the most viable. The only existing registration
infrastructure that I know of is the TLD-rooted DNS registration
infrastructure.

I know that getting the TLD administrators to take on the task will be a
steep uphill climb, but I also recognize that much of the global TLD
infrastructure has already been commercialized. This means that if there's a
suitable business case (such as one founded on increasing opportunities for
TLD registration authorities to charge new fees), there is a reasonable
chance of pursuading them to give it due consideration.  Having said that,
I'll say that I don't think LDAPext is the appropriate forum for discussing
whether the TLD operators are likely to take on the task.  That's why I'd
like to focus on the technical issues in this forum.  That is, what are
LDAPext's requirements in this space, and does this approach provide a
satisfactory technical solution to those requirements.  The administrative
and operational issues discussion should really be held in a forum populated
by DNS experts.

Having said all that, I'll fade into the background and continue to develop
the I-D so we can really formalize this discussion.

 -- Skip