Re: application defined permission

At 03:54 PM 3/9/2001 -0500, you wrote:

Bruce,

I feel that it is not a good idea to attempt to add in application-defined permissions into the LDAP ACI document.

OK. How about this. Put in some verbiage to let people know about application defined permissions, and extended operation permissions, and how they are outside the scope of this model, and are the subject of future work. I would suggest a slight modification of stuff from your note:

"A well-defined application permission model is a useful capability and we SHOULD define such a set of schema and characteristics. However, this model is out of scope for this document, as it is only concerned with applying access controls to existing LDAP operations.

Extended operations may NOT necessarily contain a "base DN" of any kind. An extended operation may or may not pertain to any particular sub-tree of information. Thus, trying to "fudge in" extended operations permissions into the current LDAP ACI model doesn't seem appropriate either. This applying permissions to extended operations is also out of scope for this document.

Both application defined permissions and extended operation permissions may be the subject of future IETF activity."

I will write up a draft on application defined permissions as a separate document after the meeting. Please let me know any discussions that take place about application defined permissions at the meeting. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to think about this issue! I will be thinking warm thoughts for you while everyone is in Minnesota!

Bruce

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com