Re: application defined permission

Bruce,

I feel that it is not a good idea to attempt to add in application-defined permissions into the LDAP ACI document.

I agree that a well-defined application permission model is a useful capability and we SHOULD define such a set of schema and characteristics.  I just don't think the current LDAP ACI draft is the place to add it.

Regarding permissions for extended operations, I feel that in some cases, as Kurt has pointed out, that the existing LDAP ACI permissions can and should be used in determining whether the extended operation will be allowed or not.  I believe that there are other cases where this may not be true.  Further, since extended operations do NOT contain a "base DN" of any kind, an extended operation may or may not pertain to any particular sub-tree of information.  Thus, trying to "fudge in" extended operations permissions into the current LDAP ACI model doesn't seem appropriate either.

I think that these topics should be taken up in new internet drafts and then refined to RFC status.

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681