Re: application defined permissions

At 11:17 AM 2/20/2001 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

Because a directory implementation may not implement the operational
usage but your application should still be able to store the user
value.  A server which does not support the operational usage should
not publish the ldapACI attribute in its subschema.

I think that the application defined permissions are only useful in an LDAP server that already implements the rest of the ACL model. It is important that the effective rights computation for application defined permissions take place in the same manner as the LDAP defined permissions. If the LDAP server is not implementing the operational usage and effective rights computation, it is unlikely to be able to implement the computation for application defined permissions. I don't ever see an implementation supporting only application defined permissions. If all an application needs is a place to store permissions, it can easily use the member attribute, or something analogous. IMHO, the important thing is the ability of the LDAP server to compute effective rights. So, I'd like to see the application defined permissions bundled into the same attribute as the other permissions. However, if the consensus of the WG is to create two separate operational attributes, and have the exact same effective rights operations and controls applying to each attribute, we could probably do it that way.

Bruce