Re: ACL Model and application defined permission

Larry,

I think you are absolutely right that the access control model must stay
focused and that there will be "other policy" that will be quite rightly
expressed external to the access control model.  I just want to clarify
that the kind of extensiblity I was talking about trying to define is
motivated by the need to support evolving directory "stuff" and so I
think is in scope.
The point is that it seems a shame not to be able to incorporate new
controls or extended operations, as much as we can, within one access
control model.  A good example would be the Proxy Authorisation
Control.  Classically an access control statement makes an assertion
about the rights of some subject on an object--so there are two
important "bits".  Along comes the Proxy Control and now there ia an
extra bit, namely the other subject that the original subject can proxy
as.  So unless the original model provides a way to extend itslef to
accomodate the new subject, it has to be redone.  If we can design a
model to allow this kind of extensibility then I think that is
desirable--there will always be new controls/extended operations coming
along.
In relation to Bruce's issue, I guesss what you would dislike would be
if Bruce used this mechanism to say define a new extended permission
"sitOn" and then represented a chair as cn=brucesChair,o=chezBruce and
then started granting and denying access using this permission and
object in the obvious way.  I kind of see both sides here--"sitOn"
clearly has nothing to do with a directory operation and so is therefore
out of place as a permission....on the other hand if an application
wanted to leverage the directory's support for notions of user, objects
and permissions...then why not...?  We haven't explicitly included that
in the model...it's just allowed by it.

Rob.