Re: Comments on draft-seilenga-lldap-cancel-00.txt

Note that the 'canceled' resultCode is to be returned by
canceled operation, not the cancel operation.  I find it
inappropriate to overload this condition onto any other
resultCode.  They already have defined semantics.  The
semantics of being canceled is orthogonal to these
semantics.  Hence, I believe adding an additional resultCode
is, IMO, justified.  I could make similar arguments
with respect to the other result codes.

However, I think the basic issue here is whether or not a
protocol extension to LDAP can amend the ASN.1.  I believe
limited amendments can be made, including:
        - additional elements may be added to sequences, and
        - additional choices may be added,
        - additional values may be added to enumerations.

The base specification states how implementations faced with
unrecognized protocol elements should behave.  However, I
do believe that no extensions should be provided without
mutual agreement of the protocol peers.

Kurt