Re: Open issues with the Java LDAP API draft

Rob,

In looking at the LDAPConnection object, I think the text should
be clarified as to which methods affect / apply to the global connection
(the source object) v.s. an individual clone of the LDAPConnection
object.  Here is my swag at it - omitting requests except bind, connect
& disconnect.

add/RemoveUnsolicitedNotificationListener - connection
bind - connection & and possibly clone - see note
          (Note: if disconnected when attempting bind, the
          API attempts a reconnect which now makes it
          specific to the clone the bind is done on.  Is this
          the intended behavior? - see 4.6.4 & 4.6.5.  I vote
          that bind does not attempt reconnect, but throws an
          exception instead).
connect - clone
disconnect - clone
finalize - clone
getAuthenticationDN - connection
getAuthenticationMethod - connection
getAuthenticationPassword - connection
get/setConstraints - clone
getHost - connection
get/setInputStream - connection
get/setOutputStream - connection
getPort - connection
get/setProperty - clone
getProtocolVersion - connection
getResponseControls - clone
getSaslBindCallBackHandler - connection
getSaslBindProperties - connection
get/setSearchConstraints - clone
getSocketFactory - connection
setSocketFactory - static connection
isBound - connecton
isConnected - connection
is/startTLS - connection

-Steve

Steve Sonntag
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software