Re: Discussion: Subentries and Administrative Areas, anddraft-ietf-ldup-subentry-04.txt

Ed and Albert:

Thanks for re-initiating this discussion.

I think there is no real workable way to evade the issue of replication of
administrative information associated with services whose administrative
boundaries are independent of that of replication.  I agree with Albert's
comments and his suggestions for augmenting the LDUP architecture document,
including treatment of naming contexts.

At Pittsburg it was decided that the LDUP model (architecture) document should
be updated to present a resolution for conflicts that arise from the fact that
ACL administrative areas are independent of replication administrative areas
(the latter is defined to coincide with "naming context" boundaries).  But the
actual issue, as you have stated,  is not just specific to ACLs.  So a clear
general frame-work for this has to be spelled out in the LDUP model document.

The following comments Albert has made are especially worth noting.  (Some of
these have been made before by others as well):

-  LDAP should simplify protocols when and where possible, but must not change
the conceptual framework
-  The conceptual framework for this "future work" was done many years ago for
the X.500 standards

And specifically, w.r.t replication:

-  Actual management could conceivably be deferred .... and is really a general
LDAP issue rather than a specifically LDUP issue since it applies even with no
replication.
-  Replication of the managed administration points affecting a replicated area
should not be deferred.

With subentry and ACL model drafts progressing, the problems resulting from not
spelling out a conceptual frame-work for administrative areas and their
replication is very evident.

Specifically, I propose we incorporate the following recommendations that Albert
has made to the LDUP model draft:

1)  State that the LDUP replication agreements implicitly requires replication
of those "ancestor" administrative points (including their subentries).
2)  Eliminate the concept of a NC [as defined in the current LDUP drafts ..
where it is indeed confused with replicated area (RA)].   Change the use of NC
to read as RA in other relevant discussions.
3) Paraphrase the namespace partitioning discussion along the guidelines in
X.500.  Cleanup the confusion between NC and replication area in the current
draft.

Also, the only way LDUP can go forward, in this regard, without conflicting with
the future LDAP revision is if we agree now to concretely adopt corresponding
X.500 conceptual frame-work.

Regards,
Uppili.