Re: Relationship between dupent and matched values

Date sent:      	Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:20:31 -0700
From:           	"Jim Sermersheim" <JIMSE@novell.com>
To:             	<ietf-ldapext@netscape.com>
Copies to:      	<d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk>
Subject:        	Relationship between dupent and matched values

> I'm wrapping up the final edits for a new version of the duplicate
> entries draft and I was going to add a comment about the usefulness of
> pairing it with the matched values draft. I'm hesitating now, only
> because I'd like to see this draft get to RFC status soon and so I
> don't want to reference a draft that isn't scheduled to be immediately
> advanced.
>
> Does anyone have strong feelings about this? We could put the note in
> the matched values draft.

The matched values has already been sent off for last call, and
includes an appropriate note. I believe you should do likewise. Here
is the matched values text

This control acts independently of other LDAP controls such as
server
side sorting [10] and duplicate entries [7]. However, there might be
interactions between this control and other controls so that a
different set of Search Result Entries are returned, or the entries
are returned in a different order, depending upon the sequencing of
this control and other controls in the LDAP request. For example,
with server side sorting, if sorting is done first, and value return
filtering second, the set of Search Results may appear to be in the
wrong order since the value filtering may remove the attribute
values
upon which the ordering was done. (The sorting document specifies
that entries without any sort key attribute values should be treated
as coming after all other attribute values.) Similarly with duplicate
entries, if duplication is performed before value filtering, the set
of Search Result Entries may contain identical duplicate entries,
each with an empty set of attribute values, because the value
filtering removed the attribute values that were used to duplicate
the results.

David

> Jim

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J