Re: Comments: draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-02.txt

At 09:32 AM 11/1/00 -0800, Rob Weltman wrote:
>"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>> However, as previously noted, a critical consideration for
>> this control is that it is not protected by security layers
>> negotiated by the bind operation.  As the primary purpose
>> of providing such information is for verify security
>> relations and/or managing information used to establish
>> security relations, it would likely be quite appropriate
>> to require or recommend the use of other security services
>> (such as TLS).
>>
>> In fact, this consideration may be significant enough to
>> warrant redesign of the mechanism itself.  Use of an extended
>> operation may be more appropriate.
>
>  Using a control in conjunction with the bind request provides desirable atomicity that you don't achieve with an extended operation. The bind request produces a bind response containing the authorization identity.

This seems reasonable rational for using a bind control.  I suggest
you detail the above security consideration (control not protected
by services negotiate by the BIND).  Besides being a specific
consideration in regards to this specification, it (IIRC)
is not specifically addressed in RFC 2251 nor 2829.

Kurt