Re: Fwd: controlling visability of subentries

Okay, Kurt - I've reviewed what X.511 specifies for the service control
used to control subentry visibility.  What is your opinion on what we should
do in LDAP?

1) create a control which has no parameters, but has the effect that when
it is present, it is interpreted identically to an X.511 service control with the
subentries bit set TRUE; or

2) create a control which has a parameter identical to the service control
specified by X.511.  This would have the effect of providing a lot of the
additional controls needed to add distributed operations to LDAP (including
preferChaining, chainingProhibited, etc.), but would also provide things
like timeLimit, sizeLimit, scopeOfReferral, and attributeSizeLimit, etc.
In X.511, the serviceControls are among the CommonArguments included
with each request.

I suppose we could consider the list of controls in LDAP providing the
equivalent to the set of CommonArguments.

What's your take?  1 would be easier to document.  2 would lay
important groundwork that should be considered in the context of future
work to add distributed operations to LDAP.

Ed

Ed Reed
Reed-Matthews, Inc.
+1 801 796 7065