Re: Considering Attribute Subtypes during ACL evaluation

Also, RFC 2256, Section 5.42 says:
"... LDAP server implementations which do not support attribute subtyping ... Client Implementations MUST NOT assume that LDAP servers are capable of performing attribute subtyping."

At 03:00 PM 10/6/00 -0700, sanjay jain wrote:

>"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> However, given that subtyping is optional in LDAPv3,
>
>Kurt
>   Could you please point to the text in RFC 2251 (or
>   any other LDAP RFC) which explicitly states that
>   subtyping is optional in LDAPv3.  I just want to confirm.

I believe it's implicit in the following statements:

3.2.2:
   Servers which follow X.500(93) models SHOULD implement subschema
   using the X.500 subschema mechanisms, and so these subschemas are not
   ordinary entries.  LDAP clients SHOULD NOT assume that servers
   implement any of the other aspects of X.500 subschema.

The first sentence implies that servers may not follow X.500(93).

3.3:
   LDAP can be mapped onto any
   other directory system so long as the X.500 data and service model as
   used in LDAP is not violated in the LDAP interface.

The interface is not violated if subtyping is not supported.