Re: RFC 2596 questions

>> Is that correct? If so, I believe the following assumption is also correct:
>> Any value held in an attribute with more than one language option (i.e. the
>> example above) does NOT exist in the attribute with a subset of those
>> language options. In other words, the example above does NOT imply that
>> there are values like:
>> cn;lang-en-US: JoeBob
>> cn;lang-ja: JoeBob
>> Right?
>
>Those are different values.  You could have them there as well, if you wished.

I worded that poorly. What I meant to say, is that given the entry:

dn: cn=JoeBob,o=myorg
cn:lang-en-US: Joe
cn;lang-ja: Bob
cn;lang-en-US;lang-ja: JoeBob

The search filter (cn;lang-en = JoeBob) will NOT match. This is due to the fact that as stated in RFC 2251, "An AttributeDescription with one or more options is treated as a subtype of the attribute type without any options".

This statement tells me that
cn:lang-en-US is a direct subtype of cn
cn;lang-ja is a direct subtype of cn
cn;lang-en-US;lang-ja is a direct subtype of cn.

Yes, I'm reading "direct" into the 2251 statement. David has argued that:
cn;lang-en-US;lang-ja is a direct subtype of cn;lang-en-US, which in turn is a direct subtype of cn. Does this also mean that it's also a subtype of cn;lang-ja, or is it strictly a right to left thing? If r to l, then the attribute type option ordering restriction will get in people's way.

Jim