Re: LDAPBind needs - java-api-11 draft - resend

Resend - properly indicating where comments are

Steve Sonntag wrote:

>  Re: LDAPBind as defined in draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-java-api-11.txt It
> is unclear from the draft how the LDAPConnection object must beused by
> an application implementing the LDAPBind interface. I am guessing that
> the LDAPConnection object passed to the bind()method of the LDAPBind
> implementation is a new LDAPConnection objectcreated by automatic
> referall following code in the original LDAPConnectionobject. The
> object contains the  AuthenticationDN andAuthenticationPassword from
> the LDAPConnection that the continuationreference was received on. The
> Host and Port are filled in from thereferral/reference host & port.
> When passed to the bind() method,neither connect nor bind has been
> performed on this LDAPConnection object. In order to make this work, I
> believe the iimplementation of theLDAPBind.bind() method MUST use the
> LDAPConnection object, whichwas passed as a parameter, to perform its
> connect and bind calls.It then returns success if both operations
> succeed.  The originalLDAPConnection object referral handling code can
> then use thenew LDAPConnection object when it resends the search
> request,updated with the new search base and possibly search filter.

It is also necessary that the application implementing the LDAPBind.bind()
method use a synchronous bind do bind to the referred-to-server, or
if using an asyncronous bind, it must wait until the bind operation has
completed before returning status.

-Steve