Re: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-04.txt

At 03:03 PM 9/2/2000 -0700, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

> I have a question on Mapping Algorithm in Section 3.  The second paragraph
> of this section has this sentence:
>
> "An RDN is able to be converted if it (1) consists of a single
> AttributeTypeAndValue".
>
> Is this restriction necessary.  If an RDN is multi-valued, why should the
> mapping break?  Shouldn't things work out OK if the RDN is something like:
>
> "dc = foo + ou = bar"?

Well, we *could* permit this, of course.  This would require deciding
whether "dc=foo + dc=bar" is OK, and how to deal with ordering (since an
RDN is a SET of AVAs, which means it's unordered, right?).  So, more work,
more potential confusion, presumably little constituency for actually
using multi-AVA RDNs, especially multi-AVA RDNs one of whose components is
DC=.  Easier to say "don't do that", IMHO.  Do you think this would
actually be useful in practice?

I was thinking that this might be useful in various migration and coexistence scenarios. It seems to me that there is no added difficulty as long as there is only one dc attribute value in the RDN. In doing the mapping to a host name, the algorithm can just ignore the non-dc attribute-value pairs in the RDN.

- RL "Bob"

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories: http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html