Re: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-04.txt

At 02:36 PM 9/2/00 -0700, Bruce Greenblatt wrote:
>I have a question on Mapping Algorithm in Section 3.  The second paragraph of this section has this sentence:
>
>"An RDN is able to be converted if it (1) consists of a single AttributeTypeAndValue".

This is consistent with the last paragraph of Section 2 and RFC 2247.
The locate I-D should be (and I believe is) consistent with these
statements in RFC 2247.

3. Mapping Domain Names into Distinguished Names
   This section defines a subset of the possible distinguished name
   structures for use in representing names allocated in the Internet
   Domain Name System.  It is possible to algorithmically transform any
   Internet domain name into a distinguished name, and to convert these
   distinguished names back into the original domain names.
   [...]
   Distinguished names in which there are one or more RDNs, all
   containing only the attribute type DC, can be mapped back into domain
   names. Note that this document does not define a domain name
   equivalence for any other distinguished names.

Note that these statements outline a 1-to-1 relationship between
a domain and a DN of DC-only RDNs.  I believe it important to
preserve this 1-to-1 relationship between domains and DC-based DNs.

Kurt