Re: Use of criticality in dupent-04

At 06:44 AM 8/1/2000 -0400, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>At 10:16 30/07/2000 -0400, Rich Salz wrote:
>>I think it's more likely that a repository must want to include a critical
>>control in its response that allows it to "disclaim" some of its data.  For
>>example, "these search results are not to be used for spam," "i cannot vouch
>>for the content you'll get when you follow these referrals," etc.
>
>another typical case would be "these data are incomprehensible if you don't
>understand this control" - for instance if we (horror!) were to define a
>control for tagging returned text as being Shift-JIS encoded instead of
UTF-8.

>The server can't force the client to do anything special, but can give
>appropriate warning that results are likely to be incomprehensible, and the
>only appropriate action on the client's side may be presenting an "upgrade
>your software?" message to the unhappy user.

This is an excellent example.  But, it still doesn't matter what the
criticality value of the control is.  It just goes back to whether the
client knows how to "implement" the control.

>                 Harald
>
>--
>Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
>+47 41 44 29 94
>Personal email: Harald@Alvestrand.no

Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories:
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html