refer-00.txt - separate attributes or options or object classes

Steven said

> I'd prefer to use separate attributes instead of separate options to
> convey the semantics but that's not critical.

In fact the two can be the same to my mind. An option is an
attribute subclass, and by defining an OID for the option/subclass,
you achieve the same thing. (Similar to name and commonName)

> > > 2.1 The refer attribute
> > >    The refer attribute can be further specified by the use
> > of options as
> > >    defined in section 4.1.5 of [RFC2251]. This document defines
> > >    five options and their use. Future documents might defined
> > other options.

In fact it defines six. If just forgot to describe refer;other at the start
of the ID

> > Is an option required?  If not, what is the semantics of an
> > optionless refer attribute?

Good question. In fact, I would say that the attribute should always
have an option defined. (just as we never use the name attribute on
its own, but always a subtype of it)

However, there is one problem with the option/subtype route, and
that is the DSAOperation vs. DistributedOperation question. I
believe that some (sup, me) are for local DSAOperation use, whilst
others (cross, sub, other) are domain replicable i.e. for
DistributedOperation use. This is why in my 1998 ID I had TWO
attribute types, named sharedRef and privateRef. I still think this
requirement exists.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J