RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-refer-00.txt

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble following the bit about replicating the refer
> attribute. I agree that it should be a DSA-specific attribute. But my
> conclusion would be that it *cannot* be replicated.

I would disagree. Both X.500 and DNS allow references to be
replicated.

> I suppose, under master-slave replication, you could specify that all
> entries are copied verbatim (though the refer attribute may now point
> to a DSA which is no longer, eg, local), but for master-master
> replication there would seem to be no situation in which the attribute
> can be replicated. (I should have given a long-sentence alert!) In
> multi-master replication, presumably one of the replicas has the
> actual entry.

Not necessarily so. Image the case of a country level LDAP referral
server with a subordinate reference to an organisation LDAP
server. If the country level server is now part of a pan-European
(say) set of country level multi-masters, then the organisation entry
still is not held by any of them, and the sub ref is still valid when
held by all the country LDAP servers.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J