RE: Unique identifiers for LDAP attributes

I think the basic issue again comes down to discipline.. The OSI and OID
stuff was considered all too hard and long winded, registration, formality,
etc as opposed to quick fix - cut the code, see it works stuff..
X.500 defined 15 or so OCs and about 40 attributes as its base information
set... with OIDs  we all know that.

So where we (in the directory world) build systems for online customers we
go through the formal schema design processes and where required, OIDs
registration under our national bodies. Just to ensure these orgs who spend
a lot of money on these systems - we are always concened that commercial
work does not get  undermined by "an experimental document" out of
somewhere..

We cannot change history - but would should learn that the issue with
directories is not one of protocols - but one of information standardisation
and identification. Simply because commincation protocols can go through
gateways, but transforming information - is a real pain (synrax, semantic,
naming, etc.

If there are no engineering or doctrinal rules applied - how is it a
standards process?

XML will hit this issue .. but is anyone concerned?  XML - a simple
Ebusiness solution.. seen that before eh!

using OIDs means that the author and the standards organisation under which
they are registered are taking some care - it isnt perfect but it does mean
existing systems should not be compromised.

regards alan