RE: Revised Matched Values Draft

David,

[snip]

> > >An LDAP search operation is specified with a baseObject
> set to the DN
> > >of the entry, a subtree scope, a filter set to
> >
> >"(|(mail=sean.mullan@sun.com)(mail=d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk))", and
> > > the list of attributes to be returned set to "mail
> telephoneNumber".
> > > In addition, a ValuesReturnFilter control is set to
> > >"mail=sean.mullan@sun.com, mail=d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk,
> > >telephoneNumber=*"
> >
> > Please use parentheses.  In fact, you may want to define a string
> > format for ValuesReturnFilter.  I suggest something like:
> >

> (:(mail=sean.mullan@sun.com)(mail=d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk)(teleph
> >   oneNumber=*))
> >
> > or if that looks too much like a search filter:
> >

> {(mail=sean.mullan@sun.com)(mail=d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk)(telepho
> >   neNumber=*)}
>
> I think it would be a good idea for the LDAP group to settle on a
> character that can represent the ASN.1 type SEQUENCE, and
> another that can represent a SET.

I think it would be a good idea for the LDAP group to settle on a
uniform predictable way of encoding any ASN.1 type (I volunteer to
write an I-D on it if there's any support) but that is another story.

> I need this also for my PKI and
> PMI schema document. Steven Legg is working on this at the
> moment, but lets assume for now that comma , represents
> SEQUENCE and + represents SET. Unfortunately we have not
> been too consistent in this in the past, as comma has represented
> both, and + has also represented SET (e.g. as in DNs)

I don't see any need to distinguished between SET and SEQUENCE in a
string encoding. They can just as well use the same separator, or if
the components of the SET/SEQUENCE are self-contained as in Kurt's
suggestion above then no separators are necessary.

ASN.1 value notation also treats SET & SEQUENCE the same, and I suspect
the comma separators there are cosmetic anyway.

[snip]

Regards,
Steven