RE: Comments on the ACL Model draft

| >Page 16: | > | >TECHNICAL: | > | > Precedence of Privilege Attribute dnTypes within a scope | > (highest to lowest): | > | > - ipAddress | > ^^^^^^^^^ | > | > - access-id, kerberosID (both same precedence) | > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | > | > - group | > | > - role | > | > - subtree | > | >Requirement S6 of the requirements draft states: | > | > S6. Access policy SHOULD NOT be expressed in terms of | > attributes which are easily forged (e.g. IP addresses). | > There may be valid reasons for enabling access based on | > attributes that are easily forged and the | > behavior/implications of doing that should be documented. | > | >Isn't use of ipAddress flaunting this? | | (EJS) Not really. The requirements document was put in place to serve | as a guideline for writing the model draft, not as an explicit | 'must follow' for writing the draft. So some things in the requirements | are not in the draft and vice-versa. This was explained at previous | ldapext meeting. Just because ipAddress is in the draft and an | implementation provides it, doesn't mean that the deployment of the | server needs to use it.

Hang on.  I don't buy this (and I don't remember that particular LDAPEXT
meeting, but I might have been someplace else).  As I read SHOULD NOT, we
need a good reason for using ipAddress.  I don't see any documentation
of why ipAddress is supported in this draft.  At a bare minimum, we should
document (a) why ipAddress is being proposed and (b) make a specific
"Security Consideration" note about ipAddress being easily forgable.
I'd really like for support of ipAddress to be a MAY (with everything else
in the list a MUST), since this document is standards track.

Ryan

(EJS) OK, let's step back for moment and start this discussion again.
So far, I think we've all agreed that the supported dnTypes are access-id,
group, and role. As for the addition of kerberosID, I haven't heard any violent
objections - only that we should look at generalizing it and bringing it in line
with the authmeth doc - and I'm looking into that.

Now for other dnTypes such as ipAddress.  I agree that we should include
a note in the Security Considerations section about it being easily forged.
ipAddress is useful when all directory updates are forced from a given
machine or network domain.  Given that this is an easily forged type, it's
reasonable to ask the mailing list whether this type should be a MUST,
SHOULD, or MAY, or perhaps remove it.  So I'd like to hear opinions
ipAddress so we can reach consensus.