Re: draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-02.txt

At 09:11 AM 2/27/00 -0800, Bruce Greenblatt wrote:
>It would be acceptable to me if wording similar to the following were
>included in the "vendor info" draft:
>
>"Server implementations conforming to this document must also support RFC
>2248.  In particular the strings that are stored in the vendorName and
>vendorVersion attribute values defined here must be also available via SNMP
>from the applName and applVersion fields of the applTable MIB defined in
>RFC 2248."

There should be no requirement for a implementation of LDAP to
implement any other application level protocol.  LDAP should be
sufficient for accessing directories.

>Does any one produce an LDAP server on a platform where
>there is no SNMP agent?

Yes.  And even where there is an SNMP agent, that agent is not
necessarily aware of directory services.

Kurt