RE: draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-02.txt

For those of us who attempt to build applications that work with
multiple directory implementations, this information is very useful.

> The information that it proposes to add to the Root DSE is already
> published is
> already available from SNMP if the LDAP server conforms to RFC 2248.  The
> applVersion field of the MIB is useful here.  I think that this draft
> should just point to RFC 2248 (and perhaps 2605) and explain where the
> vendor information should be placed.  These are already standards track
> documents, and have places to put the information that this draft defines.
> (Just my $0.02 worth)

The products we build are LDAP clients, not SNMP clients.

This information should be available via LDAP.

>  Bruce
> Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
> Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
> http://www.directory-applications.com

Peter Strong
Software Architect
Nortel Networks - Optivity Policy Services (OPS) and NetID
pestrong@nortelnetworks.com <mailto:pestrong@nortelnetworks.com>
(613) 831-6615