Re: RFC2251: unbind

At 08:41 AM 2/14/00 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>It seems that some folks are confused about the function of
>unbind.  We've likely have all heard the "don't I need to unbind
>before rebinding" enquiry.   Some have even noted that the
>disconnection requirements are MAY, not MUSTs.  Some have any
>stated that some servers do not terminate the connection upon
>receipt of an unbind request.
>
>It seems that some implementors don't take "The function of the
>Unbind Operation is to terminate a protocol session" as an absolute.
>
>I would suggest that the paragraph following this sentence
>for clarification:
>	A client SHALL NOT submit further requests after
>	sending an unbind request.  A client SHOULD terminate
>	the underlying TCP session after making the unbind
>	request.
>	A server SHALL NOT process nor respond to further
>	requests received after an unbind requests.  A
>	server SHOULD terminate the underlying TCP session
>	after receiving the unbind request.

Note that the existing paragraph allows the client to wait
for the server to initiate the TCP shutdown AND allows the
server to wait for the client to initiate the TCP shutdown.
There really should be at least one SHALL detailing who
must shutdown the connection and when.

I revise my suggestion:
	The client SHALL terminate the underlying connection
	after submitting an unbind request.

	The server SHALL terminate the underlying connection
	upon receipt of an unbind request.

Comments?