Re: RFC2251: RootDSE subschemasubentry issue

David Chadwick wrote:

> > As Thomas Salter has already pointed out, the subschema subentry
> > associated with a given naming context can be found by reading the
> > naming context entry.
>
> This is true.
>
> >The root DSE already contains the set of naming
> > contexts. Therefore the current model is not broken.
>
> . Not broken in that way, but it still is, in that a single valued attribute
> is required to hold multiple values

I'd really prefer we choose the simple solution to this problem:
change the subschemasubentry attribute to multivalued, but stipulate
that it can only have one value when it appears outside the rootDSE.
Does that solve the problem at hand?

> >Also, in the
> > current model, a server may have several naming contexts referring to
> > a single subschema subentry. This would not be possible if subschema
> > subentries were assumed to be under the naming context.
>
> I dealt with this one by saying that in this case the subschema
> subentry would be below the administrative point for the domain, if
> they are all in the same management domain (In fact this is the
> model the NHS are using in the UK).

But as far as I know LDAPv3 doesn't require that servers support
administrative domains at all.  Some servers do, some do not.  Also,
what if the naming contexts are disjoint yet all share the same schema?
That is a very common situation today.

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance