Re: please publish draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-01.txt

At 03:37 PM 2/10/00 -0500, Mark Smith wrote:
>Also, the format for vendorVersion should be more fully specified.

I disagree.  Since you state that this should be for
display purposes and/or for working around known bugs specific
to this version, the only match that makes sense is EQUALITY.
I suggest the values of this attribute type have syntax DirectoryString
and that an equality rule of CaseExactMatch be provided.  No
ordering or substrings match, IMO, should be provided these
would promote uses beyond that which is intended.  (this doesn't
disallow some vendor from support such via extended search filters)

>I also wonder if there should be a vendorProductName attribute as well,
>given that some vendors produce more than one product that processes
>LDAP requests.

Or some products might be comprised of software from multiple vendors...
many server implementations support plugin architectures after all.
In many cases, the vendor providing the core implementation is not
the primary vendor providing the end "product".  This is a rat hole.