Re: RFC2251: RootDSE subschemasubentry issue

At 07:24 AM 2/9/00 -0600, Mark Wahl wrote:
>The role of the subschemaSubentry attribute of the root DSE was discussed on
>the IETF-ASID mailing list during the design of LDAPv3.

Are the archives to the IETF-ASID mailing list still available?

>It provides an important adminstrative function to allow management
>clients to determine the capabilities of an LDAP server and the data
>it contains.

A couple of questions:

How does a client determine which subschema subentry controls the
RootDSE?  David said that this wasn't needed.  I disagre. The RootDSE
may contain additional attributes to which the client may desire to
access and hence may desire to discover schema for. It's possible that
attribute type "foo" be listed differently in two different subschemas
(because each was being separately maintained).  Which defines "foo"
as used in the Root DSE?

But how can an attribute type restricted to SINGLE-VALUE (RFC 2252)
take on multiple values as prescribed (RFC 2251)?   Seems that one
of the two documents must be in error.

Kurt