Re: substring matching rules

Mark Wahl wrote:

> Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy in inetorgperson section 13.3.3.
> I'll check with X.501/X.520 and suggest a change to Mark Smith.

Yes, this looks like a bug in the inetOrgPerson document... to match
X.520, the definition of caseExactSubstringsMatch should be:

    ( 2.5.13.7 NAME 'caseExactSubstringsMatch'
      SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.58 )

I replaced the DirectoryString syntax OID with the OID for
SubstringAssertion.  Correct?

According to X.520, the values that make up a Substring Assertion are
each of syntax DirectoryString:

  6.1.3 Case Ignore Substrings Match

  The Case Ignore Substrings Match rule determines whether a presented
  value is a substring of an attribute value of type DirectoryString,
  without regard to the case (upper or lower) of the strings.

  caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch MATCHING-RULE ::= {
     SYNTAX SubstringAssertion
     ID id-mr-caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch }

  SubstringAssertion ::= SEQUENCE OF CHOICE {
     initial [0] DirectoryString {ub-match},
     any [1] DirectoryString {ub-match},
     final [2] DirectoryString {ub-match} }
          -- at most one initial and one final component

Kurt, I think the syntaxes associated with matching rules refer to the
syntax of a presented value, e.g., a value that is in a search filter.
That's how I think about it anyway....

--
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / iPlanet E-Commerce Solutions