Re: LDAP Client Update Protocol

Chris Apple wrote:

> John Merrells wrote:
> >
> > At the end of the LDUP meeting in Washington I introduced a new
> > topic for discussion: An LDAP Client Update Protocol. This new
> > protocol is intended to address the following client needs.
> >
> > 1 -  Mobile clients that maintain a local copy of directory data.
> >      While off-line, the client uses the local copy of the data.
> >      When the client connects to the network, it synchronizes with
> >      the current directory content and can be optionally notified
> >      about the changes that occur while it is on-line. For example,
> >      a mail client can maintain a local copy of the corporate address
> >      book which it synchronizes with the master copy whenever the client
> >      gets connected to the corporate network.
>
> Is it your intent that 1 addresses the need of read-only clients?
>
> Or can you make modifications to the local copy that are subsequently
> synchronized to the server in addition to supporting the propagation
> of updates from server to local copy?

My intention, is that this protocol is for a one way update from the
server to the client.  If the client wants to send updates to the
server then it should use the regular LDAP Update Operations to do
this.

If anyone replies to this message please restrict the recipient list
to ietf-lcup to save noise on ietf-ldapext and ietf-ldup.

John