Re: LDAP Client Update Protocol

John Merrells wrote:

> At the end of the LDUP meeting in Washington I introduced a new
> topic for discussion: An LDAP Client Update Protocol. This new
> protocol is intended to address the following client needs.
>
> 1 -  Mobile clients that maintain a local copy of directory data.
>      While off-line, the client uses the local copy of the data.
>      When the client connects to the network, it synchronizes with
>      the current directory content and can be optionally notified
>      about the changes that occur while it is on-line. For example,
>      a mail client can maintain a local copy of the corporate address
>      book which it synchronizes with the master copy whenever the client
>      gets connected to the corporate network.

Is it your intent that 1 addresses the need of read-only clients?

Or can you make modifications to the local copy that are subsequently
synchronized to the server in addition to supporting the propagation
of updates from server to local copy?

> 2 -  Applications intending to synchronize heterogeneous data stores.
>      A meta directory application, for instance, would periodically
>      retrieve a list of modified entries from the directory, construct
>      the changes and apply them to a foreign data store.
>
> 3 -  Clients that need to take certain actions when a directory entry
>      is modified. For instance, an electronic mail repository may want
>      to perform a "create mailbox" task when a new person entry is added
>      to an LDAP directory and a "delete mailbox" task when a person entry
>      is removed.
>
> This work will draw experience from the LDUP working group, and will
> be predominently based upon the DirSync, PSearch, and TSearch drafts.
>
> Since this work is suffiently distinct from LDUP and LDAPext I have
> created a new mailing list for discussions on this topic. To subscribe
> send a plain text message to ietf-lcup-request@netscape.com with the
> word 'subscribe' in the body.
>
> John
>
> [PSEARCH] M. Smith "A Simple LDAP Change Notification Mechanism", INTERNET-DRAFT
> <draft-ietf-ldapext-psearch-01.txt>, August 1998.
>
> [TSEARCH] M.Whal "LDAPv3 Triggered Search Control", INTERNET-DRAFT
> <draft-ietf-ldapext-trigger-01.txt>,  August 1998.
>
> [DIRSYNC] M. Armijo "Microsoft LDAP Control for Directory Synchronization",
> INTERNET-DRAFT
> <draft-armijo-ldap-dirsync-00.txt>, August 1999.

Chris Apple                     Business Site: AnyWho Directory Service
Internet Directory Group                       http://www.anywho.com
AT&T Labs
capple@control.att.com
+1 973 236 6470                 Tired of slow directories?  Try AnyWho.