Re: I-D ACTION:draft-mmeredit-rootdse-vendor-info-00.txt

At 07:26 AM 11/19/99 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>I'm thinking we just need to define an operational attribute for the
>root DSE:

On second thought, I'd like to remove the 'just' out of the above
statement.

I believe a mechanism to allow vendors to describe arbitrary features
is needed.   However, often vendors ship products only then to release
that they have included unexpected features (ie: bugs).  The only
way to avoid such features is to use some out-of-band knowledge.

Hence, I would support progressing a common mechanism for
describing the vendor name and version IF we also provide a
common mechanism for listing arbitrary vendor features with
a "vendors SHOULD list features" statement.

This allows clients to utilize vendor versioning information
to address any feature to which the vendor as mistakenly
delivered an unlisted feature.

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<kurt@boolean.net>
Net Boolean Incorporated	<http://www.boolean.net/>